Health and Nutrition Benefits of Persimmons
1. Loaded with important nutrients
Persimmons are also a good source of thiamin (B1), riboflavin (B2), folate, magnesium and phosphorus.These colorful fruits are low in calories and loaded with fiber, making them a weight loss-friendly food. Just one persimmon contains over half the recommended intake of vitamin A. The leaves of the persimmon fruit are also high in vitamin C, tannins and fiber, as well as a common ingredient in therapeutic teas available in our shop.
2. Antioxidant superfood
Persimmons contain beneficial plant compounds that have antioxidant qualities. Antioxidants help prevent or slow cell damage by counteracting oxidative stress, a process triggered by unstable molecules called free radicals. Diets high in flavonoids, which are powerful antioxidants found in high concentrations in the skin and flesh of persimmons, have been linked to lower rates of heart disease, age-related mental decline, lung cancer and metabolic disease.
3. Rich in Fiber
Having too much cholesterol, especially “bad” LDL cholesterol, can increase the risk of heart disease, stroke and heart attack. Foods high in soluble fiber, such as fruits and vegetables, can help lower high cholesterol levels by helping the body excrete excess amounts of it. Persimmons are a high-fiber fruit that has been shown to lower LDL cholesterol levels.
4. Delicious and Easy Addition to Your Diet
Persimmons can be added to a variety of dishes to provide an extra boost of nutrition. These fruits can be enjoyed fresh as a simple snack or used in delicious recipes. In fact, they pair excellently with both sweet and savory foods. Here are some ways to add persimmons to your diet:
- Slice persimmons onto a salad for a flavorful addition.
- Top your morning yogurt or oatmeal with fresh or cooked persimmon for a burst of natural sweetness.
- Roast persimmons in the oven and drizzle with honey for a tasty and healthy dessert.
- Mix dried or fresh persimmon into muffin, bread or cake mix.
- Combine with berries and citrus fruits for a delicious fruit salad.
- Broil persimmon and serve with baked Brie for a tasty appetizer.
- Bake persimmons with chicken or meat for a unique flavor combination.
- Try our refreshing persimmon leaf tea